Happy 29th Anniversary to
|Celebrate 29 years of bringing art to children with MaryAnn and Bright Ring Publishing!|
MaryAnn Kohl would enjoy visiting your group and sharing her fun-filled, process art presentations and workshops which include hands-on art ideas and activities for teaching children of all ages. Information regarding her on-site presentations is listed below. Contact MaryAnn to discuss your presentation needs.
|"I feel like I just want to give MaryAnn Kohl a huge hug for all that she has done!" -- Molly|
NAEYC (National Association of Young Children) Conference -- workshop participants.
Art is fun for everyone!
Outdoor art workshop, Mayberry Farm, Lynden, WA
General Presenting Background
Over the years since publishing her first book in 1985, MaryAnn has been consistently invited to speak at workshops, seminars and conferences of every size and variety and location, including: NAEYC conferences Kindergarten conferences early childhood educator seminars International Reading Association conferences Europe AEYC conferences state AEYC conferences Publishers' Marketing Association's Publishing Universities writers' and publishers' groups around the country individual classrooms with children staff and teacher groups parents of children - all ages and abilities librarian trainings variety of clubs church groups camp staff gatherings homeschool and afterschool care.
Audience - presentations are suitable for the following:
"Your keynote address at our 2004 Annual Early Childhood Conference set the tone for the 300 participants, and your follow-up trainings were packed with motivated teachers eager to learn more. You helped make our conference a success!"
MaryAnn presents to large groups as well as small, gives a keynote address on a wide variety of topics with her bright, entertaining slide show, featuring hundreds of actual artworks by children. The most commonly requested presentation format is for MaryAnn to speak to a large group, and then offer several hands-on break-out sessions to follow. Any number of attendees is acceptable for the large group. Smaller groups will have more handson experiences; larger groups will see more art demonstrations. Always check with MaryAnn to work out your special requirements and expectations. Shes flexible and interested in working to your satisfaction.
A presentation may be tailored specifically for your group. Just let MaryAnn know what you need. She prefers a group session where adults can explore the "it's the process, not the product" approach to creative development and hands-on art.
NOTE: Below each presentation description below we have included links to the conference handout, available in PDF format for you to download and print. Conference Handouts from this website are for individual use only and may not be copied or distributed in any form or for any other use. Serious copyright issues and restrictions are in place. All handouts are copyright protected and restricted. Please request permission before using these handouts for any purpose other than for personal information.
Copyright © 2011 Bright Ring Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
MOST SOUGHT AFTER EDUCATION TOPICS:
• ENHANCING LITERACY THROUGH EASY ART IDEAS: Learn how to enhance the enjoyment of favorite children's books through easy companion art experiences. Inspire life-long readers through art. For anyone who works with children: teachers, librarians, parents, PTA. Relates to early readers, emergent readers, and reluctant readers. Lots of tips of classroom application. No expertise required. Anyone can do these quality art ideas with children.
Storybook Art Handout: Enhancing Literacy Through Art
Comments from attendees of a recent Enhancing Literacy workshop:
"Excellent workshop - thank you thank you thank you for broadening my understanding of art through hands on experience."
"The class was a lot of fun…funny."
"Well prepared and lots of resources."
"Fantastic! Great speaking voice and real life stories!"
• Kids Discover the GREAT ARTISTS: Hands-on art for children in the styles of the great masters includes demonstrations of art ideas and possible audience art experiences; full-color slides of art by the great masters and corresponding children's art; detailed hand-out. Hands-On Workshop available as a follow up to the group presentation.
Discovering Great Artists Handout: art techniques of the great masters through easy art experiences
Discovering Great Artists Art Activity Cards (11MB Color PDF file - big but well worth it!)
Discovering Great Artists: Online Art Supplement: Bright Ring Publishing has carefully compiled a selection of beautiful online images for each and every artist featured in Discovering Great Artists
Comments from attendees of a recent Great Artists workshop:
"I didn't want it to end! Thank you for sharing your passion for art and children with me."
"Great hands on, so much info, and can put into our program easily."
"Loved her humor and warmness!"
"I loved the hands on activities!"
• NURTURING CREATIVITY IN CHILDREN: full color slide presentation to actively encourage creativity in children of all ages; suggested art projects included with either hands-on art experiences or art demonstrations by the author. Hands-On Workshop available as a follow up to group presentation.
MaryAnn's Favorite Art Ideas (4.6 MB Color PDF File - big, but worth it)
• CREATIVE ART FOR TEACHERS OF PRIMARY AGED KIDS (Kindergarten thru Grade 3): Art projects are shared through a vibrant Powerpoint presentation that offer amazing results to delight and teach children ages 5-8 years. A unique characteristic of the art projects in Primary Art is that each single art experience has three levels to meet a variety of needs: simple and basic, more experienced and exploratory, and intricate or challenging for advanced artists. Teachers, parents, after-school caregivers, and anyone working with children will benefit from these art activities that encourage creativity, promote the process of art exploration, and appreciate the significance of the resulting art. Activities are sure to please, such as "Shimmer Paint," painting on aluminum foil with tempera and dish detergent, "Squeezy Batik," a batik resist using a flour-water mixture and watercolors, "Crinkle Scruncher," crinkled paper formed into sculptures, and "Jellie Dangles," ornaments made with gelatin! This presentation can be followed up with a hands-on workshop if you wish.
Primary Art Handout Part I (876k PDF file, Adobe Acrobat Reader required)
Primary Art Handout Part II (180k PDF file, Adobe Acrobat Reader required)
• YOUNG NON-FICTION AUTHORS: Young writers (ages k-5) meet with MaryAnn to share information about non-fiction writing, with hands-on art experiences from MaryAnn's non-fiction art books.
Up-to-Date Publishing Topics:
• HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR TEACHING IDEAS:Slide presentation with all the how-to's and expectations of deciding upon, organizing, and publishing your teaching ideas; great lists of resources; plenty of secrets to success.
Self Publishing Your Teaching Ideas Handout (PDF File - Acrobat Reader Required)
• PUBLISHING - STAYING SMALL, STAYING PROFITABLE:Are you a self-publisher or a smaller publisher trying to decide your future growth? Listen to MaryAnn Kohl tell you how to stay small and stay profitable and live a great life!
• SAVVY STEPS TO PUBLISHING SUCCESS:MaryAnn shares her best hints and secrets for succeeding in publishing.
PMA University Handout: 12 Savvy Steps to Self-Publishing Success
MaryAnn is available to consult with aspiring authors of non-fiction books. Contact MaryAnn for fees and details.
Fees and Arrangements
MaryAnn’s one-day presentation fee for a presentation in one location is $4000 plus expenses (travel and hotel extra), which includes all materials for the hands-on workshops.
Though MaryAnn does not collect a deposit at the time of booking, she does charge a cancellation fee of $500 plus any lost airfare if your group must cancel within 6 months of the event. MaryAnn’s speaking fee is due on or before the presentation date. Alternative arrangements can be made in advance.
MaryAnn provides 100% of necessary art supplies free of charge. Technology requirements vary depending on the presentation or program requested. Usually, for the large group presentation, the following are needed: screen, LCD projector (MaryAnn has one as backup if one is not available), microphone, and a table to display books and art. For hands-on experiences, at least ten banquet tables (with room for at least 6 people each), access to water, and a floor that is uncarpeted (not required, but desirable).
MaryAnn needs 2-3 hours to set up the hands-on workshop the day or night before the actual workshop. Helpers are requested for disassembling the workshop and packing supplies. Most left-over art materials will be donated to the group.
MaryAnn recommends groups invite community members to the presentation, including local childcare movers and shakers, and the local newspaper if publicity is a plus for the group.
Eager and busy participants in MaryAnn's various workshops.
General Presenting Background
Over the years since publishing her first book in 1985, MaryAnn has spoken at workshops, seminars and conferences of every size and variety, both in schools and for community groups where children are present. School visits are often in conjunction with young authors-artists-illustrators conferences. Many schools invite MaryAnn to add to a special celebration like school anniversaries or award days. MaryAnn works with kids of all ages and needs, offering both hands-on art and group discussion/presentation.
MaryAnn prefers to offer group presentations where kids can experience hands-on "process art" specially selected from her books, learn about non-fiction writing, or explore their creativity. Teachers can benefit from being present as motivation and inspiration for using new and easy art ideas in the classroom.
Audience - presentations are suitable any of the following:
elementary grade children
intermediate grade children
young author conferences
gifted and talented education/events
* note: groups may have mixed ages and needs
MaryAnn prefers her hands-on workshop sessions number between 20 and 40 children. She can present morning, afternoons, or all day. A maximum of 4 workshop group sessions is recommended for all day presentations. MaryAnn also enjoys presenting to a large assembly, following up with smaller workshops throughout the day.
MaryAnns assembly program is a personal journey into the act and art of creating books, how she arrived at her authoring and publishing career related to childhood experiences (presented so kids can relate). The program is illustrated with slides of childhood, family, and book creation. MaryAnn answers questions and tells tales and humorous true stories. With a strong emphasis on art, her presentation lends itself to a school-wide focus on non-fiction writing, reading, and creativity.
Most Popular Topics for Student Workshops:
• Lets Read Art! Kids explore favorite children's books and the illustration styles included, then experience the illustration styles in a hands-on format. Emergent readers, early readers, reluctant readers, and all readers will be inspired to read favorite books with a new appreciation for art and story. All art supplies included.
• Kids Discover the GREAT ARTISTS: Hands-on art for children in the styles of the great masters includes a full-color slide presentation introducing kids t the great masters, followed by corresponding hands-on art experiences. All art supplies included.
• Lets Explore Art! This hands-on Workshop offers a variety of art experiences set up in a station format, so children may experience all experiences available. All art supplies included.
• NON-FICTION Young Authors Young Writers (grades K-5) meet with MaryAnn to share and enjoy a workshop about non-fiction writing, with hands-on art experiences from MaryAnn's non-fiction art books. Includes writing activity and art projects. How-to secrets just for kids!
Fees and Arrangements
$1000 per day for school presentations of any kind (includes a selection of free books for the school library or teachers' resource shelf). A discount is given for 2 or more multi-school bookings in the same locale. Mileage is additional, especially if distance is significant. If overnight travel is required, exact-cost charges for hotel and transportation should be expected.
Grade and Age
Suitable for ages 5 - 10 years
Length of Sessions
Groups of 45 minutes, with 15 minutes between sessions, no more than 4 groups/day; please contact to discuss your needs. MaryAnn will make it work for you.
MaryAnn recommends schools invite others in the community to attend the presentation, if room allows. Invite the local newspaper for a great school publicity opportunity.
Before MaryAnn's Visit
MaryAnn will send 6 free books to each school as soon as booking arrangements have been confirmed. She encourages teachers to share her books with students and to do activities from the books. Early involvement with the books makes her visit a rewarding experience for students.
Most elementary schools send out book orders in advance of MaryAnn's visit; she then brings enough books to the school to autograph and meet pre-sales; extra books to sell at school will be brought in for additional sales, if the school desires.
Books are sold to the school at a discount so that the school can charge what they wish as a fundraiser. Librarians and teachers are encouraged to buy extra sets of books for the library and classrooms so that children have the opportunity to enjoy the art books whether they can afford to buy them or not. MaryAnn enjoys signing books while at the school during a scheduled time, if students will be present at the signings. Otherwise she will sign books after school.
MaryAnn looks forward to hearing from you.
|ABOUT OUR BOOKS||ABOUT MARYANN KOHL||ADDITIONAL RESOURCES|
|About Us||Favorite Websites|
|Free Art Activities||Presentations by MaryAnn||Favorite Blogs|
|More Art Activities||MaryAnn as Literary Agent||Articles About Creativity|
|Art Gallery||Frequently Asked Questions||Publishing Tips|
|How to Order||MaryAnn's Blog||Conference Handouts|
|Our Awards||Bright Ring on Facebook||Discovering Great Artists: Online Resources|
|Press Room||Great American Artists: Online Resources|
|Contact MaryAnn||Submission Guidelines|